Saturday, October 18, 2008

Standing for something
I have been extrememly hesitant to post anything about this years upcoming election and the issues that are before us. I have many friends that disagree and in some cases strongly disagree with my views. I am concerned that my views will be seen as hurtful to some, and that is not my intention at all. With that being said, I decided to "stand for something". I wanted to write a little something on Prop 8 that is being voted on in CA next month. About 7-8 years ago I walked door to door assisting a similar propostion (22) which passed and it stated that Marriage was to be defined as between one man and one woman. Recenlty the courts in CA have overturned the decision made by the people and once again the people will be voting on how to define marriage. I believe that marriage should be defined as between one man and one woman and anything else is not what our Heavenly Father has intended for us on this earth. If the prop fails to pass, I worry about the implications that it will have on our society. The effect that it will have on religious freedoms, what children are taught in schools and the intolerance that will arise over time for those that hold similar religious and moral views that I hold, etc. I encourage anyone who lives in CA to vote YES on Prop 8 because marriage is not just a temporal contract, it is a sacred. There are many websites that talk about the implications of Prop 8. One of the basic ones that give some light on the topic is :
I love you all, those of you that really know me know that is true. I just couldn't sit on the sidelines anymore.

1 comments:

Girl said...

Though I have many gay and bi friends here in liberal Minneapolis, I agree with you. I think that there shoul be some type of partnership or union that can be recognized, but the term marriage should be left in the biblical sense that it was intended. The USA has moved so far left in the last decade thanks to the ACLU that the fact that our country was founded on Christianity has all but been forgotten as the ACLU has made even a mention of Christianity pretty much illegal in work or school. This despite the fact that Muslims are constantly using the ACLU to sue and win freedoms to practice their religion in schools and work (still though, we cannot say Chritmas, it's "Winter Holiday"). Thanks for keep Christian principles on the forefront in your life!